Open Position: Data Science Intern - Counter Wildlife Trafficking (Full time)
No. of Position: 1
Project Name : Counter Wildlife Trafficking (CWT)
Location: Bengaluru, Karnataka
Duration: 3 months
Reports to: Data Scientist, CWT
About us: The Wildlife Conservation Society-India works to conserve wildlife, backed by science. We work in partnership with governmental and non-governmental organizations to deal with conservation challenges such as human-wildlife interaction, voluntary relocation of people from protected forest areas, combatting wildlife trafficking, conservation of endangered species and so on. Committed to wildlife conservation and the ecological world view that recognizes the inextricable link between human welfare and protection of wildlife and wild spaces, WCS-India endeavours to inspire positive attitudes in people towards wildlife
About Project: WCS-India has initiated a project called Counter Wildlife Trafficking (CWT), which seeks to build capacity amongst law enforcement agencies and the judiciary to combat wildlife trafficking in India. The project aims to improve India’s detection and enforcement agencies’ capacity to investigate, arrest, prosecute, convict and sentence criminal organizations that perpetrate wildlife trafficking. To this end, WCS-India will conduct capacity building workshops for various stakeholders involved in investigation, enforcement and prosecution including the Forest Department, Police, Customs officials, Directorate of Enforcement, public prosecutors, judiciary etc.
Required Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Master’s degree in Science preferred Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science or associated fields.
- Preliminary understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms
- Strong scripting and programming skills
- Proficiency in using any of the programming languages (Python/R).
- Good applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
- Proactive, self-motivated, ability to work independently and with a team
- Data mining using state-of-the-art method
- Apply Data Science techniques to automate flow of data collection and processing
- Maintain and update CWT database at the core of the software tools
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis within CWT
Remuneration: Commensurate with experience
How to apply: Interested candidates are invited to send applications by email with a subject line ‘Application for Intern- Data Science’, a cover letter and CV to email@example.com .