No. of positions : 1
About us: https://india.wcs.org/
The Marine Megafauna Advisor will lead the initiative to reduce bycatch of marine megafauna across WCS-India’s target seascapes. This will include working with the WCS India Marine team to ensure that marine and fisheries activities are designed and implemented to maximise the conservation of marine megafauna, and mitigates the likelihood of by-catch occurrences and fatalities.
Required Qualification, Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of the field of marine biology - especially marine megafauna, marine mammals, by-catch, fisheries, bioacoustics or allied field
- Specific knowledge of tropical nearshore and migratory marine megafauna species, including cetaceans, dugong, and sea turtles, particularly in South Asia
- Experience in the analyses of satellite and acoustic tracking datasets, and proficiencies in basic statistics is desirable
- Ability to provide guidance to staff, communities and partners on how to effectively implement by-catch mitigation tools
- Good communication and writing skills
- Masters or PhD in in marine biology, conservation biology, marine science, political ecology, conservation science, wildlife biology or allied field.
- Excellent track record of publishing.
- Good leadership and team skills.
- Experience working on marine megafauna issues required.
- Minimum 5 or more years’ experience working in above related field
- Design and implement robust ecological and socioeconomic methodologies to support marine megafauna conservation, including by-catch mitigation strategies
- Identify and survey critical habitats, initiate monitoring of key populations and promote adequate protection of critical habitats for marine megafauna
- Ensure appropriate analysis, dissemination and publication of field data.
- Identify priority sites and bycatch mitigation strategies to be integrated within broader WCS conservation and fisheries initiatives (e.g. MPAs, policy frameworks)
- Work with the Marine Policy Advisor to facilitate policy changes that aim to reduce marine megafauna bycatch
- Communicate and facilitate uptake of by-catch mitigation tools by industry and fishing communities. This will include building the capacity of these groups to improve compliance with by-catch regulations
- Work with the WCS communications team to create content for educational material, website, blogs and other outreach activities related to marine conservation
- Recruit and direct a high performing team covering marine science, social science, community outreach, government liaison and project administration to fulfil the various project deliverables
- Build linkages with the various components of the WCS Global Marine Conservation team, to leverage technical support and best practices.
- Collaborate with national and international researchers and research institutes to investigate transboundary marine megafauna movements and the potential anthropogenic threats they face
- To undertake such work as may be required to ensure the delivery of a high quality bycatch conservation programme for WCS India and be responsive to donor requests and requirements.
- Mentor staff from the WCS India marine program to build capacity of youngsters in the marine ecosystem in India
- Assist in the preparation of annual work-plans, budgets and reports as required by WCS and donor partners
Compensation: Offered as per qualifications and experience
- please send together in one file, a one page/300 word letter indicating your interest in joining this project, your latest resume, along with three reference details (name, designation, email and phone number).
- Submit your application using the position title “Marine Megafauna Advisor” in the subject line by 31st August 2021
- Send the above to email@example.com.
- All applications will be reviewed however only shortlisted candidates will be notified for further process.