Open Position: Project Assistant - Marine Conservation Program
No. of position: 13
Project Name: Strengthening Marine Conservation in India
Location: Based at field sites across the Indian coastline with travel to Bangalore or any other locations as required.
Reports to: Deputy Program Manager
Work experience: 1-2 years of relevant experience conducting biological or social research or implementing conservation action.
About us: WCS-India works to conserve wildlife and wildlands backed by science. We believe in the application of reliable science as a basis for all conservation action. All our research projects are implemented by our staff scientists, research fellows, students and associates. While research guides our conservation practice, we believe in demonstrating ‘working models’ of conservation on ground through long-term commitment to protect threatened species at specific sites and landscapes. Please visit www.wcsindia.org for more information.
About the project: This project aims to contribute and strengthen efforts by implementing effective strategies towards conservation of marine biodiversity in the Indian subcontinent.
Required Qualification, Skills & Abilities:
- Post-graduate degree, preferably a Master’s degree in Wildlife Sciences, Marine Biology, Conservation Biology or allied disciplines.
- Excellent communication skills and fluency in English and any one coastal language.
- Sensitivity in working with fishing communities and other stakeholders.
- Experience in drafting proposals, report writing or other forms of written communication.
- Ability to work independently and to collaborate effectively as a member of a team.
- Knowledge of handling, analysing and visualizing data using GIS and basic data analysis tools such as Microsoft Excel, R, SPSS etc.
- Highly motivated with good understanding of the various issues and policies related to conservation and management of marine biodiversity.
- A valid Driving License is desirable.
- A willingness to travel alone as and when required.
- Assisting in the relevant project activities of the Marine Conservation Program.
- Aiding in the planning and funding of new and on-going projects.
- Assisting in liaison with relevant stakeholders such as local communities, NGOs, State and Central Government agencies and other relevant institutions to realise project objectives.
- Liaising with State Forest, Fisheries and Tourism Departments, and the relevant Ministries to facilitate collaborative efforts, statutory clearance and compliances.
- Collecting and analysing data for field project and providing inputs on the planning and implementation of project activities.
- Contributing to the development and preparation of manuscripts for WCS-India’s internal publications as well as peer-reviewed journals.
- Aiding in the development and delivery of awareness/capacity building presentations to the academic community, government agencies, other stakeholders and existing or potential private sector donors as required.
Compensation: Remuneration commensurate with qualification and experience.
It’s time to apply:
To apply, please send together in one file cover letter and updated resume. While submitting your application, please use the position title “Project Assistant-RIST-Marine Conservation Program” in subject line and send us on email@example.com. Last date to apply is May 30,2020.
All applications will be reviewed; however, only shortlisted candidates will be notified for further process. Incomplete applications will not be considered.